Thursday, June 11, 2009

Day 2: fort Lauderdale - A day at the beach

The morning in Fort Lauderdale, I woke up early. Just in time to see the sun come up over the ocean. A red sunrise that light up the clouds and ocean and changing the morning air with humidity and heat. The poem my grandfather learned on Navy ships, taught to my mother, and then to me was reciting in my head. If the proverb was true we would have rain today.

"Red sky at night, sailor's delight. Red sky in morning, sailor's warning"

As I watch the sunrise, small flocks of Least Terns scan the waves for fish, a lone Brown Pelican gracefully skims the surface of the ocean, and Boat-tailed Grackles whistle.

We enjoyed a slow morning. The kids hung out in the PJ's while the adults enjoyed a few internet minutes or a nap (Nate). Then, based off of the kids requests, we decided to go to the pool.
Cassidy and tanner waiting to go to the pool.

Brandon trying to get Dillon to like water.

We then went to the beach. We stayed there until the daily afternoon storm came in. Note: the weird pigeon.


Once the storm lifted, Cassidy and I decided to try the bus system and go grocerie shopping. We left as the storm passed, using directions from Kate who went earlier this morning. Everything was going well. We caught the bus and located the store that was about 10 min from the hotel we were staying at. We then wandered around the store chatting and picking up items for snacks, lunches, and breakfast. Groceries in hand we walked to the exit doors to a dark and cloudy down poor.

And so I purchased my first umbrella; red and made for two. We giggled as we huddled under the umbrella, rain pouring down, and the grocerie sacks banging against our legs as we walked. We made it to the bus stop within a few minutes, then waited 20 for the bus. Spending the majority, and worst, of the storm standing at the bus stop, the groceries huddles against our legs. I took a few pictures and realized my camera was broken. I was disappointed, the everglades are planned tomorrow.
_______________________________________________________________
Casi's Take (Taken from her blog)
OK so i hope you read my post yesterday (no one commented) :( well here is for today! when we got up it was a lazy morning, we went to the pool for a while and then the beach, we bought a boogie board and it was so fun to play on and "ride the waves" we played until about 3:00, the raining time for Florida, then me and my mom decided to go to the closest real grocery store but we had to go by bus, so we got in the bus and rode it! until we got to the grocery store, we bought what we needed and looked outside, it was 4:30 the REAL raining time in Florida, so we ran back into the store and bought an umbrella, we had like 6 bags, not fun when we got to the bus stop the bus had just barely gone so we had to wait about 20 minutes for the bus to come back, and then when we got on there were some black people and this is how my mom described what language they were speaking, "one person sounded like they were speaking English but then they would say something weird." so to this moment we do not know what they spoke, but it was so funny listening them. then we got to the hotel. the end. more tomorrow on today!

2 comments:

  1. The colors in these photos are fabulous! Your day in the rain will be one you and Cassie speak of for years.
    And I was thinking of you when I wrote my blog yesterday. I'll think of you everytime I pass by your "old" house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what Cas wrote about the day. The last part is my favorite I was actually laughing out loud!
    Nice pic of your sexy legs Ang (Im asuming those are yours unless Nate shaved, lost weight and got a tan.)
    Sounds like a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...