Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Glacier National Park: Logan Pass

I know! So much more Glacier....and I still have two more posts. Its crazy how may things we did and how many pictures I took. I seriously could not help myself. Then with the pictures I took and now wanting to relive the whole trip by writing about it in my blog. I thoroughly enjoyed the trip and CANNOT wait until I get to go again! So I apologize for so much Glacier but seriously it is impossible to stop myself.
Going to the sun road, The valley, waterfalls, and peaks surrounding Logan pass.
As we entered the parking area, for Logan Pass, three mountain goats sat near the entrance sign. Logan Pass Parking lot
The parking lot of Logan pass is surrounded in peaks and meadows and filled with cars and tourists. Reminiscent of a day in Disneyland, we had a hard time finding a parking spot. Once parked, we joined the crowds lining up the sidewalk to the visitors center and the trails behind it.

Tanners hand in a bear print at the visitors center. Hitting the trail (Nate, Kate, Brandon, and baby Dillon)
A short ranger presentation on the effects of Global Warming on the park; its glaciers, and the plants and animals that live in it.


I was utterly shocked by the ranger programs we saw. We went to quite a few and they all had a uniting factor. EVERY single ranger tied global warming (GW) into their subject. And they were not afraid to show the data.

Evidence I have been reluctant to share with friends and family since most do not believe in GW. "First get them to believe in GW, get it on the radar, then lets discuss human causes", this has been my personal motto.

At this ranger meeting, this particular ranger spoke directly of GW. Tossing up very familiar graphs and correlating human caused CO2 emissions to global temperature increases. I sat with my mount open. It is apparent that GNP is suffering. The rangers see it within the park every day.

A few (because there are many) things I learned while in GNP about how GW is affecting the park:

1) There are 26 Glaciers left (of the ~150 they opened with)

2) In ten years the Glaciers will be snow fields.

3) In twenty they will be gone

Remember that the majority of the Global warming data is conservative in time. Its all happening faster than the scientist predicted.

4) They have already documented plant changes.

I wish I had the graph she showed. It was pretty impressive data. It showed how certain lower elevation plant are creeping up the mountain side, pushing high elevation plants into extinction within the parks boundaries.

5) And the one that shocked me the most is.... You know that high pitched

"chip" noise in high elevation meadows. Its made by the cute little pika. Apparently, the pika can NOT handle temperatures above 70 F for more than 30 min. This cute little mammal will probably not make it.
What is the future of this sub Alpine Meadow at Glacier National Park?
After many, many, many, pictures of flowers we finally hit the trail to Hidden Lake over look. The trail head starts at 6, 646 ft and gains 450 ft over a total of 1.5 miles one way. The majority of the trail is on boardwalk to protect the delicate alpine surface and plant life.
The Indian paintbrush, at Logan Pass, preferred the color of intense fuchsia. The Deep blues and purples of tulip shaped Mountain Bog Gentiana. The pink petal's of Fleabane (Aster). Crazy rich yellow petals of daisy like flowers.
The trail was packed with people and to my surprise, it did not bother me. Hardly noticing the crowds; instead I obsessed over the colors and number of wildflowers in bloom, the tall naked craggy peaks, abundant wildlife, and vast blue skies this trail had to offer.
More flowers, meadows, environmentally shortened trees growing at their altitude limits, and rocky peaks of Logan Pass/Hidden Lake overlook trail.
At one point, the trail crossed a small patch of snow and a stream formed from snow melt. The kids took right to making plans. A small war of snow, ice, and giggles ensued.
Casi and Tanisha forming snow balls
At the site of mountain goat or large rodent, a crowd would immediately precipitate from the trail, exclaim in delight, take pictures, then go on their merry way. I admit, I was one with the crowd and was excited at any the site of any animal. I was hoping for a new bird; the White- tailed Ptarmigan. But alas, my third try and I am still unsuccessful at finding the small pigeon sized bird of alpine meadows.

Happy Goat on ice, Photogenic Hoary Marmo, Baby Mountain Goat and mother (thanks Nick for the last two photos), an upset Colombian Ground Squirrel and Big-horned Sheep (oberseved from Logan Pass parking lot).

Once at the top, over looking Hidden Lake, we ate snacks, sat, and enjoyed the view.

The girls (Tanisha, Me, and Casi). Nick took the first two pictures. They are some of my favorites!

Veiw of Hidden Lake from overlook. Mountain Goat with a view (Nicks photo).

Here is some Geological nerdiness: The view from Hidden Lake Overlook provides a spectacular example of the power of Ice Age glaciers. This bowl shaped amphitheater was carved out by huge glaciers tens of thousands of years ago. In other words, it's really pretty!

Anouther one of Nicks great picts! Heading down the trail; Tanner style!

2 comments:

  1. you are killing me!!! i want to go to glacier so bad! amazing sites, beautiful animals, and gorgeous foliage. i can't wait!-Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Hidden Lake trail we I was in GNP, it had a LOT more snow on it when I was there. GW or earlier in the year not sure. That trail and the first picture you posted are the two things I remember most from my trip.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...