The trail Brandon suggested, everyone hated, and I LoVEd!
The first hike, we completed, was the Apgar (BTW: I spent the entire trip saying Apgar like a pirate would. Try it while you read this post! Its fun!) lookout Trail. Described as a short hike of "only 2.8 miles" each way and an elevation gain of 1,800 feet. The later of the description seemed to cause a bit of grief and had the devastating effect of eliminating any hike over 500 feet elevation and over a few miles in length. The hike also ruined our ability to get up at 7 a.m. (or maybe that was the late nights :).
The morning air was cool and crisp, full of moisture from the recent rains. It would be a hot day though and we were eager to get stared. As we walked down the wooded trail the dew from the plants collected on our shoes, dripped from the plants and pooled on leaves.
The trail begins relatively flat and shaded as it passes through heavily wooded terrain on an abandoned dirt road. During this part of the hike, I occupied my thoughts (some might have called it an obsession) with the flowers blooming along the trail. Glacier is famous for its June-July flowers.
I wish I knew what this was. I loved the true white, simple round, bloom accented with a fuzzy yellow center. Note the water dripping on the lowers bloom. This picture was taken before the dew dried up with the coming of the sun.
Dogwood berries. I was told to NOT eat any white berries. We did not test the warning. Indian Paintbrush again and green flowers.
Once at the base of Apgar mountain, the trees change to the burned remains of the 2003 fire and the trail changed from cool and shaded to exposed and hot. We started the first of three sets of switchbacks; slowly making the steady climb to the top.
I found the burnt trees beautiful. The 2003 fire exposed the trail to the sun (making it a hot climb) but also to an incredible amount of views; blue valleys and mountains, lakes and meadows were at every turn. The whole trail was breathtaking and I hardly noticed the climb.
We enjoyed berries growing along the ides of the trail. They looked like Raspberries but I later learned that they were Thimble berries. A delicious wild version of our Raspberry. I had one berry and it was wonderful!
Red-tailed Chipmunk
Dark eyed junco (with breakfast)
The first is a butterfly (Have you ever tied to ID a butterfly? Its freaking hard. I definitely need a book.) The second is anybodies guess. I wonder if its some kind of bee; look at its legs, they are covered in pollen but it flew more like a butterfly or moth. I was so confused (and still am) about this insect.
Casidy was such a sport on this hike. Her shoes wore blisters into both arches of her feet. We had no band aids, food, or water the whole hike (Nate being a bit ahead of us had all the gear. We wont make this mistake again ;). she worked through it though. I was so proud of her. At the top of Apgar Mountain, an unobstructed view of Lake McDonald and the high peaks in Glacier National Park are the reward.
Lake McDonald from the top of Apgar Mountain. I heard this veiw described as a "giant bathtub".


i hated that hike!!!!! :(
ReplyDeleteYou're right, it is fun to say Apgar like a pirate. =) The hike does look beautiful, your photos are fabulous, and Cassi wins the prize for best sport to hike with blisters - Eeow!
ReplyDeleteI'm loving your trip stories. :)
ReplyDelete