A man stands in line and dances to a tune.
He remembers. He remembers a time; a time, of youth, and passion, and music. He remembers with the movement of his body.His belly no longer flat, bulges through a light blue, button down shirt. The bottom two buttons not buttoned, give brief views of a world not many want to see. Yet he dances. His white belly, light brown hairs strewn across, peaks out as he thrusts and jostles.His eyes now wrinkled around the edges are closed. His forehead bare, no longer with thick locks, is cocked slightly to one side and up. And his mouth moves, as he silently sings the lyrics of the song that plays.The tune from the radio, everyone hears, yet only he dances and no one else. His heal thumps the ground. Thump. Thump. Thump. His feet move to the beat. Beat. Beat. Beat. His hand slaps his thigh. Slap. Slap. Slap. And his hips give slight thrust in tune to the music. His music. His time. His story.I stand in line too and watch as the story plays out in his own interpretive dance. I love the man. I love his story, his passion, and love for a song. I love seeing into his memory. Perhaps, a favorite time in his past. I even love the expression on a teenagers face as his dad lives. Lives within a memory, if only briefly, in the form of a dance.
I am in Zions National Park with a friend and we are at the Zions lodge. We hope to quench our thirsts for caffeine before taking the bus down the canyon, to our cars, and then home. It's been a great trip. One of laughing, hiking, birding and friendship and ...
I want to remember:
The excitement as we realize both of us own (and love) cute little hachbacks.
Enjoying each others complaints about wind, dirt, leaf debree, and occasional insect that gets into out sleeping bags. And choosing not to act on the complaints, by putting up a tent. Both of us loving to sleep out under the stars.
Note: Forgive the image. Borrowed from another bushtit trip with another great bushtit
Note of note: A bushtit is a very small drab grey bird with a long tail. They have a very social nature, in that they are often in a flock of up to 40 individuals, are very noisy, and tend to hang with other species of birds. Bushtit is also what the group of girls I bird with call ourselves. I am sure you can see the resemblance.
The pain of accomplishment.


Did you know I LOVE camping with you? Love. :)
ReplyDeleteOh, and we definitely have to plan a backpacking trip in Parunuweap Canyon!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE the slideshow! You are so la-de-dah with your blog and your photographing skills. I enjoyed your description of, is it your husband's?, reminising of days gone by. I've had those moments and those looks from my teenagers, and they are both so worth it.
ReplyDeleteErn- yes I totally want to do that canyon next time!!! I am writing it on my calender (for next year) right now......
ReplyDeleteTeressa- The man is someone I did not know. He was so preoccupied he did not notice me, his son, or anyone else for that matter.