Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Things I overheard: A superhero's story



Tanner and I are driving in the car when Tanner starts intensely flinging his hands at the radio.

Tanner grumbles: "Why is it not working?"

Me: "Why is what, not working?"

Tanner: "In Daddy's truck I can change the volume by doing this." Tanner flings his right arm at the radio and wingles his fingers
"I can change the music too!"

Me: "Well, why don't you try it again?"

Tanner snaps his right arm into place and wringles his fingers. The radio station changes.

Tanner excitedly states: "It works in your car too!" He then immediately flings his other arm forward and I hit the button on my steering wheel for volume. I am excited he didn't notice my trick.

The car is rather intense as Tanner continues tossing out one arm after the other at the radio. Arms whipping forward into place. Fingers wriggling with glee. His attention focused on his task. But I have a problem. I do not know what arm or finger wiggle does what action. So I change the radio stations and volume randomly; right arm, volume up, right fingers wriggle, station down, left arm, volume down, left fingers wriggle, volume up.

Finally he relaxes and lets out a sigh. He sits back in his seat. His eyes focused straight ahead and both arms lay silently at his side. He is deep in thought. After some time, he turns his head towards me and states with unease.


Tanner: "I don't know how to control my powers"

6 comments:

  1. At what point does messing with your kids start to become damaging vs. just good plain fun, encouraging imagination...? I don't know but its sure fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol that's awesome. What a cute kid, love him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny! Has me wiping tears from my eyes with laughter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could totally see my son doing this! Boys are super! I love that when kids are young they are invincible and believe in their powers. Ah, to keep that skill through life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is hysterical. It really made Grandma Joan's day!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...