Wednesday, February 18, 2009

This one is on me!




I live in Utah. The location of the first Kentucky Fried Chicken. Somehow this makes us famous or perhaps special. Well at least, I guess my Mom thinks so. Since for as long as I can remember to today, she will point it out and say “Did you know that is the first Kentuky Fried Chicken...ever?!”. She has never failed to point this fact out.

I often wonder what this piece of trivia holds for her. My mother grew up in Utah. Perhaps, watching the opening of the first KFC and seeing it turn into what it has become placed Utah on the map for her. Or maybe it is just a piece of trivia she knows and she likes to share it. Either way, this statement has become an unofficial tradition for me and even today as I drive by I will state “Did you know that is the first Kentuky Fried Chicken...ever?!” No one usually gets the joke.

A few days ago, I took Cassidy to work with me to help move my office. She would load a cart with stuff from the old office and then bringing it to the new office where I would unload it and "put things away". After 8 years of working at Echelon, I have a lot of crap. Once we were done moving, we went to find a chair. This quickly turned into a game of pushing each other in rolly chairs; the one sitting tossing their hands in the air and exclaiming “Wheee!” excitedly. We never did find a chair.

We then drove home, along the way we passed the blue church building on the west side of Foothill Drive and I turned to her and said "Thats the church that Erin got married in!". Casi replied with rich sarcasm that only a teenager could produce "I know, Mom!"

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, DUH, Mom! (Wait, do teenagers still say "duh"? or is it like when my parents used to say "groovy" and I'd roll my eyes at them?)

    Hahaha, too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you imagine the things I will be saying to Lily by the time she gets old enough to respond with such sarcasm? I shudder to think of it. I guess for me the ultimate will be hairbrained and gullible remarks like we make fun of my mom for. I am well on my way already!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...