Taken from prop8trialtracker.com
"In an op-ed in the New York Times Sunday, Columbia University political science professors Andrew Gelman, Jeffrey Lax and Justin Phillips wrote that while “gay marriage is not going away as a highly emotion, contested issue….perhaps the public has reached a turning point.” The professors cite a recent CNN poll that “found that a narrow majority of Americans supported same-sex marriage – the first poll to find majority support.” But, they write, “this trend will continue” because nationally, “a majority of people under age 30 support same-sex marriage.”
The Times created an interactive map (shown above) to go with the article – which shows the “groundswell” from 2004 to 2010. They also have a graphic that shows the trend state-by-state (shown below)"
What stands out to me?
- Utah's standing in the whole issue; the lowest approval rating nationwide. Wonder why that is (said sarcastically)?
- The upper portion of the curve caps out at 66%. I look forward to when it caps out at 100%
- I love the young people (even if it excludes me ) of 30 and under.
- I hope that these findings give you hope, Mercy. I know it does for me.
Lovelovelove it (: As you knew I would. I can't tell you how excited I am to be part of this generation sometimes- just knowing things are going in the right direction and I could see the world change for the better gives me chills!! :D
ReplyDeleteI know we won't always agree on the details of this topic, but that's how I like it. It would be boring to be friends with only those who agree with me on everything. This is a tough subject for me because my feelings are all over the place, and nothing is cut and dry. I do believe that heterosexuals could learn a thing or two about valuing marriage from homosexuals. Allowing people to make wedding vows isn't as big a deal to me as people honoring those vows. From my own experience I know that breaking these vows and treating them lightly sure can complicate family life and hurt a lot of innocent people.
ReplyDeleteMcB: I thought you would enjoy this post. :)
ReplyDeleteTink: Diversity is a great thing. I can understand being pulled in two directions over a particular subject. Perhaps this is because you fully understand the issue. I often think that I do not understand the problem/ issue until I am fully confused by the logic on both sides. :) This is how I usually feel with just about everything in politics, except for this one. It is such a weird feeling to feel the pull in one direction so strongly.
Thanks for leaving your comment. I love hearing what you have to say. Your views and ability to share your views without offending is what makes our conversations so great. :)