
The Grey squirrels and/or Western Scrub Jays love our mulch for food storage. They have filled our Gambel Oak understory with holes the size of a fist. These freshly dug holes are at a pace of every square foot and every day there are a few more. Some of the holes contain raw Gambel Oak nuts and some don't. I wonder why one hole is better than another and therefore gets the nuts. I am also curious to know who is making and filling the holes. Is it a squirrel or a Jay? Both? Any ideas?
Happy Fall!
As Bayli would say, "silly little nuts!!!"
ReplyDeleteOh, and I have acorns this year-so exciting! I am sure that I won't have any nut hoarders though.
Your yard is a wonderland for nature! My friend has one of those cameras that you hook up to a tree and it takes photos when motion triggers it. You could use one of those to catch the hoarder in the act.
ReplyDeleteGreat pic. It will be fun to see how much is gone by spring time.
ReplyDelete