Monday, January 11, 2010

The world wakes

The day after Christmas, I got together with Ern who was visiting her parents in Logan. I was also, in Logan Richmond Idaho, whatever. The point being, we where only 30 min away from each other and decided to meet. Perhaps, we could scare up some bird life too. 

I left early in the morning, when all but one in the house were sleeping. As Quiet as I could, I stumbled into layers of gear. Expecting the worst from the weather. When I was finally dressed, I headed to the door passing my father-in-law on the way out. He gave me a look that seemed to say "you wont make it 10 minuets" or "you might be bit crazy"... or, perhaps, those were my own thoughts knowing December in Logan is very cold. I started my car and dreamed of coffee while it warmed up. My car registered the outside temperature at 4F. I hoped it would get warmer. It didn't. 

Ern and I meet at Sues ponds a half hour later. It was 0F. After documenting the temperature and noting the frost forming on my hair, we walked down the dirt road that splits the small preserve in half. The world was white with fog and the layers of frost and snow. It was incredibly beautiful. Serene. Tranquil. We invaded the silence, with the crunch of footsteps and quiet chatter. 

I longed to be quiescent with this sleeping world. My mind silenced by place; the bitterness of cold, the visual weight and depth created by fog, the purity of white, and the scarcity of life. A passive and frigid world of  ice, fierceness and peace, sleep and silence, exquisite artistry, and penetrating coldness. Soon the cold has its effect and we move on to a new location, Hoping our car heaters will warm us up before the next stop.



As we reach the next stop, at a small pond along a major road in Logan,  the sun starts to break the fog, turns the world a golden hue,  and initiates the awakening of the world around us. We start to see the subtle movement of feathered life at the back of a pond. Cars drove by. A muskrat slowly swims along the bank. 

We then went to the 20-20 ponds and Starbucks for a mid morning warmer before ending at a cemetery where we are entertained by Golden-crowned Kinglet's, many American Robins, a dog who barked enthusiastically, and a man who recognized our passion and then shared his mothers love for birds. The lowest temperature was -2F and the high was 4F. 

5 comments:

  1. WOW!! Those pictures are beautiful!! I love them! I can just picture how quiet and peaceful that must have been. Snow is so beautiful and those pictures are simply amazing! Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You perfectly captured the morning, both in pictures and words. There was so much weight to the cold and silence that morning. It was perfect in its beauty, despite the temperatures. Or maybe because of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. simply beautiful, the pics and your description of the moment. as much as i hate cold weather, i love to view it (from a warm place).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm beginning to think that the best photographer is one that is also an author and a poet. You show the world beautifully...in all mediums. Isn't it easy to miss the depth and beauty of something or someone because we don't want to deal with the discomfort or challenges that might come along with the beauty?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terresa.
    Wow! I love what you said and you are so right. I have heard similar statements but, I have never heard it said quite this way before.

    I truly believe that we appreciate what is hard to obtain. Dealing with the bitter cold, or hiking a long trail for an amazing view or how you relate the difficult experience with a "someone" ( I would like to think you mean our teenagers).....Anyways, the first time I remember hearing something similar was when I read Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey. Edward Abbey is a cranky old man but he writes with his heart and I love that. He says that a view can be ruined by paving the trail. I have come to believe in this statement. I think all the best things in life are gained by hard work and a bit of "discomfort" because that is how you learn to appreciate it. To truly love it.

    Thanks for commenting. I always look forward to what you have to say,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...