I figured it out when, as suggested in the previous post, they bloomed. Rather pretty, I think.
It is known as Ornithogalum umbellatum or the star-of-bethlehem but it is also Known As: Sleepydick* (my personal favorite and the one I will use the remaining of this post) , Grass Lily, Nap-at-Noon, Eleven-o'clock Lady, Summer Snowflake, Starflower, and the Pyrenees Star of Bethlehem.
*from not waking up earlier than noon. This same behavior probably gave rise to the names, "Nap-at Noon" and "Eleven-o'clock lady"**.
**which gave rise to a piece of herblore. I guess, not "waking up" properly meant this was God's clue to use this plant as a treatment for sleep disorders. It was used for all sorts of ailments from disturbing nightmares to fidgity restlessness to a loss of feeling in limbs. It is useful for none of these things. Well, unless one consumes a sufficient amount ***, which would put an end to all of these ailments.
***its apparently poisonous. Although, the bulbs have been used to stave off hunger during times of famine and is considered a "famine food"; I don't think its very tasty but I am curious about eating one.Wow that was a long detour. It is described as****:
"a Six Petalled White Flower with green and white sepals. The flowers group in a 'corymbose raceme' with 3-21 white flowers (with) a green stripe. The flower starts out as monocot tendrils, that look like onion or grape hyacinths. Then a green and white striped, garlic-like bulb emerge. After a good rainshower, when the sun comes out, the flower will begin opening the outer three petals, then the inner 3 petals then the six stamen lay down parallel to the six petals. This process reverses by late afternoon."
****Not that I really expect you to read this.Wait a min.... What? The flowers don't bloom unless it rains followed by sun?***** That is pretty cool!
*****How does it do that and what is the evolutionary path for such a strange set of "bloom-in" rules?
But wait? Whats that?
Sleepydick can "cause potential threats to native vegetation" Now you know I care about that. Its "native to northern Africa" but has been sold as an ornametal and " escaped cultivation"******. I knew I saw it in a catalog once. Gosh! I love being right!*******
****** I can relate. According to my mother, I escaped cultivation when I was about 17.
******* Don't we all?Check out the map, its taken over just about all of North America!
So what should I do?
Let it grow? It is a pretty cool flower. Should I keep it for its beauty and neat rain-followed-by-sun sensing mechanism?
Or should I get rid of it? Avoiding further infestation of the area I live in (similar to this lovely gem)..but really, does one plant in my yard really affect the surrounding hills? Although, it could eventually cause me these types of pains.
So that is my brain on Sleepydick. And, I think, I know what I am going to do but, I am curious, what would you do?

.jpg)
Gosh hard decision. It is very pretty. It almost has a hardier Crocus look.
ReplyDeleteJust don't lay down and take naps near it, you might find yourself eating it in your sleep???
BTW would love a Serviceberry start!
oooo it is very pretty! I would get rid of it if it were in my yard cuz my little girls would probably try to eat it or pick it. but if I were you I would probably keep it, I kind of like how unique it is! Plus really the name is hilarious and would be reason enough to keep it for me!!
ReplyDeleteTough call. If it were me: A: It would die soon under my watch anyway B: I wouldn't go to such great lengths to figure out what it was and whether it was invasive therefore could plead ignorance (although my lawyer husband always says that's not a good defense) So I think I would enjoy it: at least until the guilt got to be too much. Maybe pull it in the fall when it isn't so pretty...
ReplyDeleteAh-hah! I thought it was in the lily family, and a bulb plant at that! Well done on your research. Isn't it fun to learn more about the world. Let me put some of your fears to rest. It is true that this plant is very invasive, but because it is a bulb plant, experts say that the danger most arises when machinery is involved, ie. in farms. This lily has been turned into the soil of many farms and it continues to spread, not just in the farmland but around it. It is especially dangerous for barley farms because this lily is suseptible to barley rust, a disease which kills barley plants as well. Just keep an eye on the bulbs; throw away the extras when they multiply (destroy them first), and you will be fine, as will the natural wildlife. (There are several government sites that list dangers and care of sleepydick.) The most dangerous plants are those that can be spread by seeds by birds. Just go to the Carolinas and look at the trees that are COVERED in Japanese honeysuckle. It is crazy! Japanese Honeysuckle is actually safe here because our winters kill it back, but in warm areas it is a death sentence. I guess it pays to know a plant before you plant it.
ReplyDeleteAnd because this post isn't long enough, here is another for you. While in Oregon we stopped at the sand dunes. Due to natural erosion levels, the non-native European beach grass was introduced. It did wonders to stablize the area. The problem: it is too much at home and has over run miles of sand dunes. So now, to aid in controling the plant, people are allowed to drive in areas where the plant grows in order to save the dunes.
Sleepydick. I see you named the flower after me, after all.
ReplyDeleteYou are funny, chica! This post cracked me up. :)
ReplyDeleteIt is beautiful. But knowing you, I suspect it will be pulled shortly.
Also, that is a strange evolutionary adaptation....Maybe the plant doesn't waste energy on blooms unless there is sufficient water and good weather?