This worked well in the last post* so, I thought I would try it again.
* which by the way earned you a Serviceberry bush start (if you want one). I will be down your way (Teresa/Lisa) Saturday so give me a holla if you want a start and I will personally deliver!
So what is it? I have a few guesses; most of which place the plant in the Allium group. For instance Alluim Cernuum is found in the Wasatch Mountains but, my book says it blooms late summer and the buds look more like this. I guess my mystery plant buds could eventually look like that but, late summer is a long time for me to wait. Checking its progress everyday for a whole summer... yea, I dont want to do that.
Of course, it could be a non-native plant too since, I am not certain if this was planted by the previous owners or not. It's hard to tell in this new yard where the plant originated since, we are surrounded by open space. The buds, however, evoke a memory from a seed catalog I once looked through. Hmmm, either way, I am excited to see what it looks like when bloomed. Until then, the beautiful white edged buds are pretty fab* too!
*thats right. I said "fab".
Specs:
1) The largest of the three plants in my yard is about 6-7 inches tall; if I was to measure the grass like leaves that are now laying on the ground.2)The buds currently are less than an inch long.
3) I will post pictures after they bloom too. I think that will be most helpful for a proper ID.
To be continued...

I think it is a totally new species that needs naming. Ah, look at that, my name is available . . .
ReplyDeleteThis has the look of a bulb or tuber plant. It's too late to study indepth so I'll think about it tomorrow and let you know. keep these mysteries coming! I agree, they are pretty fab.;-)
ReplyDelete