Monday, November 17, 2008

Red Rock

Last weekend Casi, her friend Meggie, Tanner, Nate and I went climbing at Red rock in Draper, Utah. We arrived early in the morning.  The air still had an early morning earthy smell and held the silence of winter. From the parking lot, the trail worked its way up the side of a hill. It was encased by the silent forms of oak brush. The last few reminders of fall clinging to their branches. As we walked leaves crunched under our feet and ghostly Gypsy moths fluttered by. It was beautiful and I was almost sad when the trail ended at the base of a rock wall. 

The rock wall was red interspersed with grey. It looked like someone haphazardly tossed large boulders together forming the wall. We had our choice of climbs. No one else was there.  Only Nate wakes up excited that the snow was melting and thinks "Wow! 50 degrees! Lets go climbing!". The thought of climbing in late fall only made the kids and myself drag our feet to  get ready. Dressing in layers, long sleeves, hats, gloves and coats. 

I lead the first climb, Facial fracture, a 5.7 and by the time I finished the climb my hands were numb from the cold. At times the only reminder I had, that I was holding onto a rock wall were the sharp ends of the rock pressing deep into my hands. Strangely enough, I enjoyed it. Rock climbing is an incredible sensation that focuses my mind and in some ways simplifies life.  


After I finished the climb, Cassidy followed next and then Tanner and Meggie. Cassidy completed the climb with only one "rest"!  After everyone had climbed Facial fracture, Cassidy asked if she could lead a climb. It would be  her first time leading and we were excited when she red pointed Baby teeth, a 5.6, on site (there is some climbing jargon for ya- if you need definitions click here). By now the kids are pretty much done with climbing. Spending their time running up and down the steep sloped hillside and bouldering the small boulders at the base of the wall. By the time we went home there would be three flesh wounds on two different kids. Nate and I however were still gung-ho about climbing. Nate lead our last climb, Dry Socket a 5.8 I followed after and cleaned the gear from the climb. 

  It was a great way to start our Sunday. Next time Nate wants to go climbing in late fall I might drag my feet a bit less.

2 comments:

  1. wow sounds pretty amazing. Have you ever thought about writing? You explain things really well I can imagine how nice it must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me want to take up climbing again. How long have you guys been climbing?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...