Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Propaganda Victim
"Naturally the common people don't want war.... That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.”
This quote is from Hermann Goering at the Nuremberg Nazi trials. Nate brought my attention to it in reference to the Bush administrations ability to move an entire country into war but I have come to feel that it can also be applied to any idea that is spread through fear and confusion. I remember how I felt before the war. We had so much information coming at us and it was hard to see what was right and wrong, and fact or fiction.
Now I am watching some of those around me struggle with these same emotions regarding prop 8. "The campaign promoting Proposition 8, which proposes to amend the state Constitution to bad same-sex marriages, has masterfully misdirected its audience, California voters." There is a lot of information out there regarding this amendment and most of it is riddled with half truths in order to evoke an emotion from the viewer. Due to this, I worry that most individuals are voting based on the propaganda placed before them. Voting on what they heard, what they fear and not on personal research into the facts.
Do not let others control your thoughts and direct your vote. Most of what is said about prop 8 can easily be researched and proven false on government sites or with a fact checker. Here is a link from the LA times that another blogger made me aware of. I think it explains how I feel and validates the research I have done on this subject. Please check it out and then verify it for yourself.
Propaganda is a concerted set of messages aimed at influencing the opinions or behaviors of large numbers of people. As opposed to impartially providing information, propaganda in its most basic sense presents information in order to influence its audience. Propaganda often presents facts selectively (thus lying by omission) to encourage a particular synthesis, or gives loaded messages in order to produce an emotional rather than rational response to the information presented. The desired result is a change of the cognitive narrative of the subject in the target audience to further a political agenda. wikipedia
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
looks long and inportant..... i dont feel like reading it.
ReplyDeleteAng I hope you are not implying that everyone that is voting yes on prop 8 is just doing it because they have been dooped by propaganda. I think most people are smart enough to know that they cant trust everything that they see and hear. As for me I am simple person and I believe simply that marriage should be between a man and a woman. But don't tell me that what I believe or stand for is all because of something I saw on tv.
ReplyDeleteOf course there will always be things on both sides that are untrue. I have seen many comercials that have been misleading on that of the people who are voting no.
I would hope, too, that everyone would look within themselves and vote for what they truely believe is the right thing.
As for me I have never been one to follow the crowd. In fact in most cases I like to do the exact opposite of everyone around me. I voted YES today on prop 8 I would hope that everyone elce that votes, no matter what their vote is, that they understand what it is they are voing for.
I find it interesting that on your friends blog she has a clip on Ellen getting married to her partner and also other gay couples together. If I can recall I seem to remember you wrote as a comment that you cried after watching it. You may be a victim of propaganda yourself.
Cassi: LOL
ReplyDeleteTami: "Good for you" and No I am not implying that you did not research your vote. I appreciate your comments, we are all victims to the things we see and hear if we do not verify them. I only ask that we verify the facts.