Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yes, we can change!

I have mixed emotions regarding last nights election. In one evening we witnessed a big step, opposing discrimination, with the election of Obama but we also witnessed discrimination with the approval of constitutional amendments against the rights of gays and lesbians in California,  Arizona, Arkansas, and Florida.  Totaling 31 "defense of marriage" amendments that have been adopted from 1996 to 2008. The map below,excludes this years amendments but is still a valid visual representation of how this discrimination has spread over our country. Perhaps, for some the map gives happiness, or relief of fear; representing our nation being saved from "Armageddon". I however, do not see it this way.  I have hope and faith that I will see these amendments changed to include all forms of marriage, love, and family. I look forward to a united America; Red, Blue, Black, White, Homosexual and Heterosexual. 

To those close to me, I know you understand my views on this subject. I am lucky, in that, I am surrounded by people with differing perspectives in politics and religion. Who grant me greater objectivity and help guide me into further understanding of their views.
     No amendment
     Grants legislature authority to ban same-sex marriage
     Bans same-sex marriage      Bans same-sex marriage and civil unions
     Bans gay marriage, civil unions, and any marriage-like contract between unmarried persons

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...