Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Christmas Tag






I was tagged...Yippie! Thanks Tami!



1. Egg nogg or Hot chocolate?

I remember liking hot chocolate and Egg nogg as a kid but since I went off Dairy products eight years ago I haven’t drank much of either. Then the other day I noticed soy based Egg nogg at Albertson’s and I’m hooked. I’ve spent many evenings spiking it with different things and I have enjoyed EVERY one. Mmmmm! Definitely soy based Egg nogg. Time to get more!

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?

I wrap… EVERYTHING! Gosh, I hate wrapping. Why didn’t I think of sitting them under the tree with a big bow?

3. Colored lights on a tree/house or white?

White, definitely White lights.

4. Do I hang mistletoe?

Yipper, it hangs over our door every year. Never been kissed under it though. I guess I should spend more time there. Do you think that will increase the odds?

5. When do I put up my decorations?

When “the kids are bugging me” level gets too high to tolerate.

6. What is my favorite holiday dish?

Then: pink salad (for you non-Utahn/Mormons; pink colored jello mix (your choice), cool whip, canned fruit. Mix and serve.) Don’t knock it till you try it.

Now: I don’t know why but I always look forward to sweet potatoes.

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child?

I loved going to our grandma’s house in Mona, UT. We would arrive and the house would be full of family, the fire would be blazing, and the air would be filled with the scents of Christmas. It was ALWAYS too hot in their home and we usually made jokes of having the Christmas party next year in our swimming suits. Santa would visit while the reindeer quenched their thirst at Mona reservoir and he would tell us the story of how Rudolph go this red nose. It usually snowed and if it did, someone would be tossed in it before the night was over. And even though my mother would say the drive to and from grandma’s home was torture and always involved bad weather, I miss it too.

8. When and how did I learn the truth about Santa?

Dunno, but I am sure my brothers ruined it for me. J

9. Do we open a Christmas gift on Christmas Eve?

Yes! Growing up we were allowed to open a gift on Christmas eve. The gift was PJ’s “so our Christmas morning pictures would be cute”. I remember being excited to open the gift EVERY year and EVERY year being utterly disappointed. Ha! My mom has continued the tradition by making all the grand kids PJ’s and I continue it by giving them slippers on Christmas Eve. Got to have cute pictures and the kids will thank me for it later.

10. How do I decorate our tree?

Quickly and with usually much arguing with the kids. Yet for some reason I always look forward to it. :)

11. Can I ice skate?

Some might call what I do ice-skating….

12. Can I remember my favorite gift?

I remember getting this huge Barbie doll house that my mom and dad made. I don’t know if it was my favorite gift but it certainly was memorable.

13. What is the most important thing about the holidays for me?

Getting rid of Christmas Carols and mall Santa's.

14. What is my favorite holiday dessert?

Pie! Pie! I love Pie!

15. What is my favorite holiday tradition?

Then: Definitely the Christmas eve party! There is so much anticipation building in the kids, the shopping and preparations are finished, and I finally get to relax and enjoy the festivities.

Now: Nate is not always around for the Christmas eve party since he spends most of the evening on the phone working. Because of this most of my recent memories are of Christmas day. There is that spark of excitement to the holiday and both Nate and I get to relax and enjoy the holiday together.

16. What tops my tree?

A star but I am looking for a replacement. Any ideas?

17. What do I prefer - Giving or receiving?

Both! I love to give; especially when it’s a gift that is loved. But receiving a gift has importance too. I love the story, John Steinbeck, tells where he is given a telescope instead of a microscope. He accepted the gift with thanks and appreciation even though it was not something he needed or wanted. Christmas is not just about giving. So I think Both!


18. What is my favorite Christmas song?

Eww! Don't make me go there. At our last Christmas parties (all three) we noticed that only the older generations were singing the songs. The younger kids squirming in their chairs; wishing the singing would end. It was our analysis that singing Christmas songs was a dying tradition.... thank god!

19. Candy Canes?

I am pro Candy cane for decorations and food storage but I don’t like eating them. Most of the candy canes I have tend to be used as emergency food for the car. Since, I will eat them during rough times. For instance, when birding takes longer than you expect, or when the kids are yelling at each other in the back seat, or when the drive home from work just seems too long. One candy cane will usually last me all year. Time to restock! Bring me some candy Santa!

I tag Doc Ern and Casi

3 comments:

  1. That was funny. Who doesnt like to sing christmas songs?? Your crazy girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee. You know what's weird? I've known you since before you went off dairy. Also, I have photographic evidence of #11.

    I like Christmas music. But not usually the traditional songs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I HATE Christmas........songs....
    Why do retailers think we all want to start shopping for christmas as soon as the halloween crap comes down?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...